Barth's love for theatre began in his Idaho high school and his love for performance has continued throughout his life. After studying two years at BYU he joined the Navy as a pilot. While in flight training, Neal was in the NAVCAD choir and traveled all over the world, even meeting Mr. Walt Disney. After the war he returned to his theatre studies at BYU. He went to Michigan for summer stock and performed 10 plays in 12 weeks at the Ledges Playhouse under the direction of Harold I. Hansen and Lael Woodbury.
After Barth completed his bachelor's degree he moved to California to teach for two years before he returned to BYU to complete his master's degree. Upon achieving his post-graduate degree he began a 31-year career teaching drama at Orem High School, after which he continued as an adjunct professor at Salt Lake Community College for an additional four years.
Throughout his schooling and his career Barth continued to perform in plays all over the Utah and Salt Lake valleys and has made a few movie and TV appearances. In addition to his performances, Neal is also a playwright and has had several plays published and performed nationally.
In 2012 Barth took, for the fourteenth time, the role of Tevye in The SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre's production of Fiddler on the Roof. Barth first played Tevye forty years ago and, since then, has performed more than 300 individual performances of the milkman. Neal's love for the role comes from Tevye's cheeky humor and one-sided conversations with the Almighty.
In 2013 Barth was honored at the SCERA's annual "Evening of Stars" gala for his wonderful and numerous contribution to the arts.
Neal is the father of three children, step-father of two more, and has many grandchildren. He found time, amidst teaching and performing, to be a river guide in the Grand Canyon and Salmon Rivers, a radio announcer, a cook, and is currently a security guard for the Utah State Senate.
- The Universe - A Night of Stars: BYU faculty awarded for contribution to the arts (27 Feb 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Star struck: SCERA smiles on local arts with special honors (21 Feb 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Arts Hot Ticket: Fiddle-dee-dee (16 Aug 2012)
- The Deseret News - 'Fiddler on the Roof' continues SCERA tradition (10 Aug 2012)
- The Daily Herald - Perfect Date: Fiddlin' at the SCERA (9 Aug 2012)
- The Universe - "Fiddler on the Roof" to play at SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre (2 Aug 2012)
- The Daily Herald - Actor has long acquaintance with lead role of new SCERA musical (2 Aug 2012)