The following year, in 1976, Philbrick accompanied one of the performing arts teams on a trip to Europe to take photos documenting the monumental tour. Before the end of the trip, Philbrick was informed he had been hired as the Brigham Young University's first full-time photographer. Since that time, Philbrick has been instrumental in portraying BYU's image to the world. He has traveled the world, accompanying researchers and performing groups, and has captured some of the most memorable moments in BYU history.
In 2011 Philbrick was honored as a first class inductee to the Master of the Profession Award, given for a lifetime of excellence in university photography. The following year, Philbrick was named photographer of the year for the seventh time by the University Photographers' Association of America, making him the "winningest" photographer in the UPAA's history. In 2014, Philbrick was awarded the Bronze for the Excellence in Photography at the Council for Advancement and Support for Education (CASE) Awards of Excellence for that year.
In 2016, Philbrick was selected as a judge for the 'Daily Herald 2016 Photo Contest Winners: Best photos in the valley.'
- BYU Photo, UPAA 2012 Symposium
- The Universe - University photographer shoots another win (10 July 2012)
- The Daily Universe - University photographer showcased at Covey Center (3 October 2011)
- The Deseret News - The Man Behind the Camera (30 Aug. 2009)
- The Daily Herald - Daily Herald 2016 Photo Contest Winners: Best photos in the valley (8 Jan. 2017)