Sheffield received a bachelor's degree in modern dance in 1986 and a master's degree in dance and educational leadership in 1988, both from BYU. Sheffield began teaching in BYU's children's dance program in 1982 and is currently the director of the Young DanceMakers. Through her leadership, the program has flourished under the umbrella of BYU as it creates a learning environment that values and protects children in the arts.
At the May 2012 "Evening of Dance" concert, artists from the Young DanceMakers performed "Come Dream with Me", a showcase of dreams and nightmares. The following year Sheffield led the group through a performance of Tell Me a Story, which contained dances portraying historical events, such as the Civil War.
- 2007 Part-Time Faculty Excellence Award at the Annual University Conference
- 2005 Annual Part-Time Faculty Teaching Excellence Award from the College of Health and Human Performance
- 2005 Distinguished Lecturer Award from the Department of Dance
- 2004 Circle of Honor Award from the BYU Alumni Association
- The Daily Herald - BYU's Young DanceMakers Present Annual Evening of Dance (16 May 2013)
- The Universe - BYU DanceMakers to perform 'Tell Me a Story' this week (14 May 2013)
- The Daily Herald - Young DanceMakers display dreams in 'Evening of Dance' (3 May 2012)
- The Universe - Mysterious as the dark side of the moon (7 May 2010)
- The Daily Herald - BYU Children's Dance (6 May 2010)
- BYU News - BYU Young DanceMakers celebrate animal life in concerts May 7-8 (22 April 2010)